Separators drawing attention with the expanding market for LIB applications
The global separator market has enjoyed about 29.1% growth each year for recent three years from 2009 to 2011. Despite highly competitive Japanese companies, such as Asahi Kasei and Ube, American companies, such as Celgard and Tonen, Korean companies including SK Innovation, and Chinese companies including BYD and ATL are challenging the incumbent separator manufacturers.
Separators are classified into the dry and the wet-type: such companies adopting the wet type as Asahi Kasei, Tonen, and SK Innovation are occupying 63% of the entire market, while the companies adopting the dry-type including Celgard and Ube, accounting for more than 37%.
The market of separators for small IT devices which adopt wet-type separators showed 17.7% growth from 2009 to 2011 and is expected to grow by 11.2% until 2015. Additionally, the market of EV separators adopting the dry-type separators is expected to show the annual growth rate of 69.3% until 2015.
When it comes to the demand for separators by application, medium-large sized LIBs are expected to exceed small sized LIBs. Along with, the demand for the dry-type separators, which are mostly adopted in medium-large sized applications are also expected to exceed the demand for the wet-type separators from late 2013.
Key points of this report
- The world's first report specialized in separators for Li-ion secondary batteries
- Latest technological trends for separators including the wet, dry type and coating specifications.
- Trend analysis of more than 20 separator manufacturers in the world
- In-depth market analysis from 2009 to 2011
- Forecast of the separator market from 2011 to 2012